Cookies on this website

We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you click 'Accept all cookies' we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies and you won't see this message again. If you click 'Reject all non-essential cookies' only necessary cookies providing core functionality such as security, network management, and accessibility will be enabled. Click 'Find out more' for information on how to change your cookie settings.

Expression of the p53, the epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFr; c-erbB-1) and c-erbB-2 proteins was studied in 82 patients with primary transitional cell carcinoma of the bladder using an immuno-histochemical method. Strong or moderate staining was found in 18% of tumours for p53 with weaker staining in a further 36% giving a total of 54% of tumours stained for p53. Strong staining was found in 15% of tumours for c-erbB-2 and in 31% for the EGFr. Tumours invading the bladder muscle were significantly more likely to be strongly stained positively for p53 and/or EGFr compared with superficial tumours: only 15% of invasive tumours were stained negatively for both p53 and EGFr. No statistical association was found between p53 and EGFr expression. Weakly positive associations were found between the expression of c-erbB-2 and p53 and between muscle invasive tumours and increased expression of c-erbB-2. Alterations in the expression of p53, c-erbB-1 and c-erbB-2 were found frequently in human transitional cell carcinoma of the urinary bladder and may be of clinical use in defining patient sub-groups of differing prognosis.


Journal article


Br J Cancer

Publication Date





967 - 970


Aged, Biomarkers, Tumor, Carcinoma, Transitional Cell, ErbB Receptors, Female, Gene Expression, Humans, Male, Mutation, Neoplasm Staging, Proto-Oncogene Proteins, Receptor, ErbB-2, Staining and Labeling, Tumor Suppressor Protein p53, Urinary Bladder Neoplasms