MRC Weatherall Institute of Molecular Medicine, University of Oxford, John Radcliffe Hospital, Headington, Oxford OX3 9DS
Gulnar and her friends started a new project, called 'We and Countries', with the aim of helping people for getting more information about the countries through the eye of youth. During our journey, we share the fantastic places, interesting cultures around the world. You can find our page on We & Countries.
BSc (Hons), MSc (Hons)
- WIMM Graduate Student Association – First-Year Representative
- St Cross College - Student Representative Committee Vice President
Cell differentiation in colorectal cancer
Since October 2019, Gulnar is a DPhil student in Prof. Sir Walter Bodmer’s lab at the Department of Oncology. She is investigating the mechanisms of cell differentiation in colon and colorectal cancer (CRC). The main aims of her project are to identify new potential factors that trigger cell differentiation and explore which primary defects – mutations or methylation – affect cell differentiation in CRC. Improved understanding of cell differentiation will contribute to the treatment of mucinous and non-mucinous carcinoma.
Gulnar completed successfully her BSc in Biology at Baku State University (BSU), Azerbaijan in 2016. After graduating from the BSc with honours, her enthusiasm for science increased further in the Master’s Degree. She has an honorary MSc degree in Molecular Biology from the Institute of Molecular Biology and Biotechnologies (IMBB) of Azerbaijan National Academy of Sciences in 2018. Before joining Prof. Bodmer’s lab, Gulnar worked as a junior researcher and also as a lecturer. She taught undergraduate and master students 'basic principles of molecular biology', 'regulation of gene expression' at IMBB and BSU, Azerbaijan.
- First place in the "Winter School of Young Biologists - 2019", Azerbaijan, 27.02. - 01.03.2019.
- Award PhD Scholarship Programme from the Islamic Development Bank for the Academic Year 2018-2019.
- "Honorary degree" – Azerbaijan National Academy of Sciences, 10.11.2017.
- "Honorary diploma" for high grades and social activities - Baku State University, the Ministry of Education of Azerbaijan Republic, 30.06.2016.
- "The best student of the year" – Baku State University, the Ministry of Education of Azerbaijan Republic, 2015/2014/2013.
- Abdullayeva G.R., Rustamova S.R. Genetic and structural effects of cancer-associated mutations in human DNA polymerases delta and epsilon. Transactions of Institute of Molecular Biology and Biotechnologies of Azerbaijan National Academy of Sciences, Baku, 2018, vol. 2, p.55-60.
- Huseynova I.M., Rustamova S.M., Abdullayeva G.R. Application of PCR-based functional molecular markers to identify Dreb1 genes in Triticum aestivum L. SF Biotechnol Bioeng J 1:1, 2018.