Cookies on this website

We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you click 'Accept all cookies' we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies and you won't see this message again. If you click 'Reject all non-essential cookies' only necessary cookies providing core functionality such as security, network management, and accessibility will be enabled. Click 'Find out more' for information on how to change your cookie settings.

BACKGROUND: Reported outcomes of patients followed failed endoscopic stenting for acute left-sided malignant colonic obstruction remained lacking. OBJECTIVES: This study aims to compare the outcomes between endoscopic stenting and emergency surgery in patients with acute left-sided malignant colonic obstruction and to identify factors that predict failed stenting. METHODS: A retrospective review of all patients with acute left-sided malignant colonic obstruction in the National University Hospital, Singapore was performed. RESULTS: From January 2007 to October 2013, 165 patients, with a median age of 68 years (range, 25-96), formed the study group. Sixty-nine (41.8 %) patients underwent immediate surgery. Endoscopic stenting was attempted in 96 (58.2 %) patients and was successful in 76 (79.2 %). The remaining 20 (20.8 %) failed the procedure and were operated immediately. Three of the patients who were successfully stented but did not improve clinically also required emergency surgery. Patients that failed stenting were 13.3 (95 % confidence interval (CI), 3.61-48.8; p 

Original publication




Journal article


Int J Colorectal Dis

Publication Date





1267 - 1273


Adult, Aged, Aged, 80 and over, Colonic Diseases, Colonic Neoplasms, Colonoscopy, Emergencies, Humans, Intestinal Obstruction, Length of Stay, Middle Aged, Retrospective Studies, Risk Factors, Stents, Treatment Failure